Saturday, February 27, 2010

Self Auto Repair

The rear brakes on my wife's car needed replaced. I ignored the problem to long, or just ignored my wife's comments about it. Anyway by the time I reacted, the rotors needed replaced also. This could cost more than $300 at a repair shop. With only $80 in the auto repair budget, that would blow the blow the budget out of the water.

When I was in high school I worked at a auto repair garage for 2 years, and I've always work in the industrial maintenance field repairing equipment since college. So I good with tools and know how to change breaks. I probably put it off, because I work on stuff all day, and didn't want to do it at home went I got off. But putting this repair probably tripled the price.

So we went and bought rotors and brake pads for $128.07. And this gave me the opportunity to show my wife how to change disc brakes. She didn't get her hands too dirty, she operated the floor Jack and handed me the tools and parts. But she saw the process.

In the end we still broke the budget, but we damped the blow, so it wasn't that bad.