Saturday, August 21, 2010

My wife is now insured.

My wife works part time as an RN at a community hospital. For us it seems to work well because, the pay is good and she picks which days she wants to work. She doesn't get any benefits though. No 403B or pension plan. No health, dental, disability or life insurance. We had health and dental on my wife, through my plan at work, but only a $30,000 life insurance through my work's plan. That might be enough to bury her.

We've known for a while we needed to get some term life insurance on her. So I decided to try out Select quote online. The process took way longer than I would have suspected.

First we filled out a questionnaire online that took about 15 minutes. The next day a sales representative calls us and asked the same questions again. Then he set up an appointment for a person to come to our house and take blood, and do a medical exam. We had to wait a couple weeks for the person come to examine my wife. We had a little trouble finding a day when both of their schedules were free. Then it took a couple weeks after that for the blood results and for the insurance company to finalize the paperwork.

The total process took about a month long. Finally when we saw the money deducted from our checking account we knew she was insured. We got $500,000 of term life insurance for the next twenty years for $19.69 a month.

We've been putting this off for a while. Glad to get it done.