Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What won't you sacrifice?

I was listening to Dave Ramsay's Podcast this morning from a couple days ago. One thing he said got me thinking. It was a statement about reaching goals. It kinda went something like this.... most people think about "what can I do", or "what can I sacrifice" to reach a goal. And that these things are the Key to reaching your goal. But the thing that will keep you from reaching your goal is The things your NOT willing to give up or sacrifice. Cause those things are the opposing forces that make goals harder to reach or work against it.

This got me thinking. And I thought of this scenario.

So if a person is willing to work more to pay off debt, pick up an extra job. He is willing to sacrifice time with his family to reach this goal. But what if, to answer the other question of "what will the person NOT sacrifice?" is keeping a new vehicle and the payment instead of selling it off. This is the opposing force keeping you from you goal.

Also, in this scenario what is more important to the person, time with family or the new vehicle. It would seem the new vehicle once you step back and look at it.

So what about my goal?

What is the opposing forces to my goal of getting out of debt? What are these things that I won't give up that are keeping me from reaching my debt free goal, or slowing it down?

1. Not completely stopping our home improvement project.

2. Not selling our camper which is our largest single debt.

3. Not stopping contributions to my 401k.

4. Not stopping saving money for vacation fund.

These things I won't give up. At least right now. We are still on track to pay off all our debt in two years or less. If something changes, we will have to consider doing these things to keep us on track. And after looking at these things, I realize they do represent are good portion of our monthly budget. And if we did all these things we could be out of debt much faster.

So ask yourself, "What am I NOT willing to give up?"